Last week I spent most of my time, setting up a laptop with WindowsXP, and it dawned on me to put together a little document on how I optimize Windows. Once Windows is installed and you logon for the first time, I basically do eight steps:
- Run Windows Update
- Disable unneeded services
- Modify the Registry for tuning up performance
- Install Anti-Virus and Spam-blocking programs
- Install Third Party Applications
- Add some final utility programs
The Optimizing WindowsXP page goes into further detail.